TxT kontoret (= The TxT office)
Name: One True Quartet
Release 2a (20220426)
An office package for writers.
- 7,5 MB complete (Menu and all programs)
- 1,5 MB Functional (Menu, Outliner, Texteditor, Encryption)
- 220 kB Minimal (Outliner and Texteditor)
- 27 programs, centered on the outliner MemPad. Made for note-taking, journaling, and production of long texts.
- Held together by a menu-system and suitable for common users.
- Common file-formats (txt/csv/htm/xls) are usable everywhere, and long-term stable: The Texts are readable many years from now!
The files can be placed anywhere - EXCEPT Windows folders for installed files.
It can be a fixed disc (C:\...), but the system can run from an USB stick.
- should NOT be installed, and will work after extraction.
- do not make changes on the computer.
- are completely removed if the program-folder is deleted.
- will work in Windows from XP and up.
- most programs are for 32 bit (x86) and 64 bit systems - a few have specific versions for 64 bit machines.
After extraction of TxT.exe you'll have the folder 'TxT', containing:
► PRG1 - PRG4 (Original distribution-folders with Programs of the package)
► ZIP (Empty folder - for storing compressed files after extraction)
► KONTOR.exe (With the complete TxT office)
Individual programs (in the folders PRG1-4) works immediately after extraction.
☆ HOW TO INSTALL:
Extract (unpack) the downloaded file (R2a.zip) - this can be done in the download-folder, and will create the 'R2a' folder.
This folder contains help for installation (in danish and english) and the installation-file (TxT.exe)
Place TxT.exe in the folder where you want the TxT office - since most of the programs are meant for writing and editing of text, the 'Documents' folder ('My Documents') is a good choice.
!! Do NOT place it in the Windows 'Programs' folders!!
(The programs are all 'portable', and should NOT be installed under Windows.
The can run from any folder, or from an USB stick)
This is a self-extracting 7z archive, which will create the 'TxT' folder.
To avoid double extraction 'TxT.exe' should be deleted - or moved to the 'ZIP' folder, in the new 'TxT' folder.
The 'TxT' folder contains:
4 numbered folders (PRG1 - PRG4)
'ZIP' (An empty folder for storage of compressed files)
KONTOR.exe (A self-extracting archive)
The numbered folders contains all the programs in the TxT office package, inside their original distribution-folders.
They can be used as-is, without implementing the TxT office structure.
However, using the TxT office will add a menu-system, pre-made INI files which integrates the programs, and several custom made help-files and guides.
This is a self-extracting 7z archive, and running it will create the folder 'KONTOR', with a complete TxT office.
'KONTOR.exe' should then be deleted - or moved to the 'ZIP' folder.
In the new 'KONTOR' folder, open the '1-Qsel' subfolder.
- Create a shortcut to Qsel.exe,
and place the shortcut on your Windows desktop, or the Windows Start-menu.
- Run Qsel.exe
This is the menu program that holds the TxT office together.
When it is run, it will automatically open
The 'Kontor' menu (= Office menu) with shortcuts to all programs and to help-files in danish and english.
The outliner MemPad (The central program of the TxT office package) will open the danish guide 'Velkommen.lst' (To open the english version ('Welcome.lst') use the file menu, opened by Alt-f)
In 30 minutes, the guide will lead you through the major functions of MemPad, and its integration with editors and utility programs.
The 'Velkommen.lst' file will give you a (danish) guide to the main functions
(Available in english: Enter: Alt F → and select 'Welcome.lst')
► follow the step-by-step instructions, and in 30 minutes you will have made:
▬ a Journal (a single key creates or opens a page for the day)
▬ a minimal web-page (MemPad easily exports content to a HTML file)
▬ an alphabetical word-list, from an existing text-file
▬ an animated world map - showing the position of the sun throughout the day/night
▬ a text-table based on entries in MemPad (or any text editor)
▬ a HTML table (web-format) based on the above table
▬ a spreadsheet that calculates numbers from MemPad (or any editor)
▬ a date alarm, connected to one or more task-files
▬ and have learned how to use the MemPad outliner and a lot of its shortcuts
☆ The 'KONTOR' (= office) folder (containing the full TxT office) has 6 sub-folders:
► 1-Qsel (The Menu-system)
► 2-MP (The Outliner MemPad & support-programs & all custom-made help-files)
► 3-ED (6 text-editors with english help-files)
► 4-TID (Calendar, Date Reminder, Task-list, (alarm)Clock, Animated Daylight-map)
► 5-TABEL (Spreadsheet, Table-editing, Table-extraction/Converting)
► 6-DIV (Advanced file-search, Hash-tables, Tool for copying text in pop-ups, Tool for creating a folder-index for distribution / web-use, Shortcuts to hidden Windows systems)
The central parts are in the folder:
which can be copied, and work on its own
(Described in the TxT.help file \\see:/Index/Office/Contents/Mini )
☆ A short description of the programs in the 'KONTOR' folder:
Program-launcher (2 pre-made menus, 'Kontor' and 'MS') gives quick access to:
- Programs in the TxT office and help in danish and english.
- Windows utility-programs (from Wordpad to Problem Steps Recorder)
- It is easy to edit the menus, or add your own.
► MemPad. Text-editor and Outliner
- Write and edit notes. (Also 1000-page notes...)
- User defined timestamps and more in easily editable insert-menus.
- Launcher-function gives quick access to important files/programs.
- Extensive original help in english.
- Danish/English help-notes and guides: Get working quickly, and learn the functions as you are using them.
==► Support-programs for MemPad:
===► ShowTx is an editor (like MS Notebook, but better) that is integrated in MemPads context-menu. Can be used as a stand-alone text-editor, or integrated in Windows Explorer.
====► MPhtml is a converter that apply HTML-formatting to exported text from MemPad. For use on the Web or in e-mails. Finished .htm pages are made with .css templates, that are easy to customize from the pre-made examples.
► Three other editors
- TED Notepad. Avances sorting and editing; Double search/replace function; 9 (!) internal Clipboards for insertion of text. Gives common users advanced capabilities, without complications.
- Gwennel Doc. Small and fast graphical editor. Saves formatted text in the .odt format, which can be used by all office packages.
► Spreadsheet and tables
- Spread32 is a complete spreadsheet. A clone of excel 97 with all functions, formulas and more, but with limited help and no Guides.
- UniCSVed. Table-editor for data-entry, filtering, merging, sorting and more. Good for text-tables.
- CSVFileView. Presents .csv files as tables - good for data-extraction, and speedy creation of tables in HTML format (integrated in MemPads context/rightclick-menu, and can be added to the right-click menu in Windows Explorer for for opening CSV files)
- Date Reminder. Integrated calendar and task-reminder.
- TTclock. Watch/Alarm/Stopwatch/Countdown
- Greyline Map. Animated world map shows the path of the sun (Where is it day/night?)
- Windows Godmode. Shortcuts to aavanced Windows-functions.
- Hash My Files. Creates a Hash-value, making it possible to spot changes in files.
- Search My Files. Faster AND better than search with Windows Explorer.
(It is recommended to add the 2 above programs to the rightclick-menu (context-menu) in Windows Explorer, if you are using the TxT office on your own computer)
- Snap-2-HTML. Makes a snap-shot of a file-structure, for use in a browser. Can show the placement and size of files on an external drive. TxT(02NE1-R2a).html is made with this program)
- SysExp. Many programs and Windows functions display information in pop-up windows, where text cannot be copied. SysExp can extract text from nearly all text-boxes.
Danish help is in the file 'Kontor.help'
English help is in the file 'TxT.help'
(Both can be opened from the 'Kontor' menu)
Most of the programs have integrated english help (Usually opened by the 'F1' key)
Further information is found in the original distribution-folders of the programs - they are placed in the folders PRG1 - PRG4
☆ Why use this, instead of a wordprocessor, or a net-based solution?
The TxT kontor system is meant for texts that are too important to lose - all programs have been picked (and tested) for long-term stability, and all supported formats are expected to be in common use 25 years from now - and to be readable without conversion in 50 years from now.
The system is based on my personal writing environment - and that contains text that first was computerized in the early 1980's on CP/M and DOS based systems. (And a few from MiniVAX UNIX systems - converted from punched paper-tape for TTY (TelePrinter) terminals!)
Text without formatting is the core of this system, and the main tool for generating formatted texts are outputting in HTML (Web format) which can be read by a browser - or a text-editor.
Small and streamlined programs are the core of the TxT kontor -I like to save a copy of the originating program with all data-files...
This also makes the programs fast, even on old machines
► the 'KONTOR' folder (containing the full TxT kontor system) = 7,5 MB
► the '2-MP' folder (Menu; Outliner; Text-editor; HTML-generator; (graphical!) HTML-editor; Help-files) = 1.2 MB
► The Help-file contains guides to making ultra-compact versions, down to under ½ MB
The system is meant for stand-alone systems, that are not normally connected to a net, and is set up for stability and security.
Data from within the system can easily be shared with others (also if they use other operating systems) but will block access for even very determined hackers.
If you need to store data on unsupervised systems, they can be encrypted and/or hidden.
All programs in the package are free- and shareware, and may freely be used for any purpose (including commercial)
All programs are copyrighted (©) by their original authors, and may ONLY be distributed in their original distribution-folders (as found in the subfolders of PRG1 - PRG4)
The included programs may NOT be decompiled, or changed by the user.
The INI-files, and the help made for the TxT office, can freely be changed and/or distributed by the user.
The name TxT office (Danish: TxT kontoret) is © Copyright 2013 - 2022, and may only be used if the full package is distributed with the original TxT office Help-files, and the programs in their original distribution-folders.
MPhtml: 26 apr 2022